* The annual percentage yield ("APY") on the deposit balances in Betterment Cash Reserve ("Cash Reserve") is 3.75% and represents the weighted average of the APY on deposit balances at the banks participating in Cash Reserve (the "Program Banks") and is current as of Dec. 19, 2022. This APY is variable and subject to change daily. Deposit balances are not allocated equally among the participating Program Banks. A minimum deposit of $10 is required, but there is no minimum balance required to be maintained. The APY available to a customer may be lower if that customer designates a bank or banks as ineligible to receive deposits. APY applies only to Cash Reserve and does not apply to checking accounts held through Betterment Checking. Cash Reserve and Betterment Checking are separate offerings and are not linked accounts.
See Betterment'sForm ADV Part IIandTerms and Conditionsfor additional information, including details on the deposit allocation methodology.
†Betterment Cash Reserve ("Cash Reserve") is offered by Betterment LLC. Clients of Betterment LLC participate in Cash Reserve through their brokerage account held at Betterment Securities. Neither Betterment LLC nor any of its affiliates is a bank. Through Cash Reserve, clients' funds are deposited into one or more banks ("Program Banks") where the funds earn a variable interest rate and are eligible for FDIC insurance. Cash Reserve provides Betterment clients with the opportunity to earn interest on cash intended to purchase securities through Betterment LLC and Betterment Securities. Cash Reserve should not be viewed as a long-term investment option.
Funds held in your brokerage accounts are not FDIC-insured but are protected by SIPC. Funds in transit to or from Program Banks are generally not FDIC-insured but are protected by SIPC, except when those funds are held in a sweep account following a deposit or prior to a withdrawal, at which time funds are eligible for FDIC insurance but are not protected by SIPC. See Betterment Client Agreements for further details. If you participate in Cash Reserve, you authorize Betterment, on a discretionary basis, to direct Betterment Securities as to the allocation of your funds among one or more Program Banks. Deposits at each Program Bank are insured by the FDIC up to $250,000 for each insurable capacity (e.g. individual or joint). In aggregate, funds deposited into Cash Reserve are eligible for up to $1,000,000 (or $2,000,000 for joint accounts) of FDIC insurance once the funds reach one or more Program Banks (up to $250,000 for each insurable capacity—e.g., individual or joint—at up to four Program Banks). Even if there are more than four Program Banks, clients will not necessarily have deposits allocated in a manner that will provide FDIC insurance above $1,000,000 (or $2,000,000 for joint accounts). The FDIC calculates the insurance limits based on all accounts held in the same insurable capacity at a bank, not just cash in Cash Reserve. Although certain types of accounts, such as trust accounts may be eligible for additional FDIC insurance based on the number of beneficiaries, funds will be allocated to each Program Bank in such a way that provides up to $250,000 of FDIC insurance ($500,000 for joint accounts) per Program Bank. In the event you maintain an individual or joint Cash Reserve account and are a beneficiary of a Cash Reserve trust account, Betterment does not provide more than $250,000 of FDIC insurance per Deposit Bank ($500,000 for joint accounts) across client’s multiple Cash Reserve accounts. If clients elect to exclude one or more Program Banks from receiving deposits the amount of FDIC insurance available through Cash Reserve may be lower. Clients are responsible for monitoring their total assets at each Program Bank, including existing deposits held at Program Banks outside of Cash Reserve, to ensure FDIC insurance limits are not exceeded, which could result in some funds being uninsured. For more information on FDIC insurance please visit www.FDIC.gov. Deposits held in Program Banks are not protected by SIPC. For more information see the full terms and conditions and Betterment LLC's Form ADV Part 2.
‡ Checking accounts and the Betterment Visa Debit Card provided by and issued by nbkc bank, Member FDIC. Funds deposited into Checking are FDIC-insured up to $250k for individual accounts and up to $250k per depositor for joint accounts. Betterment Checking made available through Betterment Financial LLC. Neither Betterment Financial LLC, nor any of their affiliates, is a bank. Betterment Financial LLC reimburses ATM fees and the Visa® 1% foreign transaction fee worldwide, everywhere Visa is accepted.
Any balances you hold with nbkc bank, including but not limited to those balances held in Betterment Checking accounts are added together and are insured up to $250,000 per depositor through nbkc bank, Member FDIC. If you have funds jointly owned, these funds would be separately insured for up to $250,000 for each joint account owner. nbkc bank utilizes a deposit network service, which means that at any given time, all, none, or a portion of the funds in your Betterment Checking accounts may be placed into and held beneficially in your name at other depository institutions which are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). For a complete list of other depository institutions where funds may be placed, please visit https://www.cambr.com/bank-list. Balances moved to network banks are eligible for FDIC insurance once the funds arrive at a network bank. To learn more about pass-through deposit insurance applicable to your account, please see the Account Documentation. Additional information on FDIC insurance can be found at https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/.
Investment Advice: Advisory services for traditional investments (e.g., ETFs) and digital assets are provided by Betterment LLC, an SEC-registered investment adviser. Betterment LLC does not require clients to maintain a minimum investment account balance. However, accounts below a certain balance may have certain restrictions. For more information, please see additional disclosure.
Traditional Investment Brokerage Services & Custody: Brokerage services are provided to clients of Betterment LLC by Betterment Securities, an SEC-registered broker-dealer and member of FINRA /SIPC, and Apex Clearing Corporation, a third-party SEC registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC.
Digital Asset Trading Services & Custody: Digital asset trading services and custody are provided by Gemini Trust Company, LLC. For further details regarding the custody of assets, including cash, held at Gemini Trust Company, please see your Gemini user agreement.
We want you to know a few things:
- If not otherwise specified above, this page contains original content by Betterment LLC (as opposed to its other affiliates).
- The information provided is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a recommendation or personal financial planning, tax, rollover, or financial advice. The information provided should be used at your own risk.
- There are tax implications when investing and some materials may discuss tax impact. Betterment does not provide tax advice. Articles or FAQs do not constitute a tax opinion and should not be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties.
- Betterment assumes no responsibility or liability whatsoever for the content, accuracy, reliability or opinions expressed in a third-party website, to which a published article links (a “linked website”) and such linked websites are not monitored, investigated, or checked for accuracy or completeness by Betterment. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, reliability, timeliness and completeness of any information available on a linked website. All products, services and content obtained from a linked website are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement, security, or accuracy. If Betterment has a relationship or affiliation with the author or content, it will note this in additional disclosure.
- Betterment may publish content that has been created by affiliated or unaffiliated contributors, which may include employees, other financial service providers, third-party authors who are paid a fee by Betterment, or other parties. Unless otherwise noted, the content of such posts does not necessarily represent the actual views or opinions of Betterment or any of its officers, directors, or employees. The opinions expressed by guest writers and/or article sources/interviewees are strictly their own and do not necessarily represent those of Betterment.
- You may see the CFP® certification mark. The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board) owns the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification mark, and the CFP® certification mark (with plaque design) logo in the United States, which it authorizes use of by individuals who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Let’s Talk about Risk
Investing involves risk and there is the potential of losing money when you invest in securities and digital assets. Past performance does not guarantee future results and the likelihood of investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature.
Investments in securities and digital assets are: Not FDIC Insured • Not Bank Guaranteed • May Lose Value.
Furthermore, investing in digital assets is highly speculative and volatile, and only suitable for investors who are able to bear the risk of potential loss and experience sharp drawdowns. Digital assets are not legal tender and are not backed by the U.S. government. Digital assets are not subject to SIPC protections.
Before investing, consider your investment objectives and Betterment LLC's fees and expenses. Betterment LLC's internet-based advisory services are designed to assist clients in achieving discrete financial goals. They are not intended to provide comprehensive tax advice or financial planning with respect to every aspect of a client's financial situation and do not incorporate specific investments that clients hold elsewhere. For more details, see Betterment’s Form CRS, Form ADV Part II and other disclosures.
Not an offer, solicitation of an offer, or advice to buy or sell securities in jurisdictions where Betterment LLC is not registered.
Who Provides the Market Data?
Market Data by Xignite. Fund data © 2022 Morningstar. All Rights Reserved. The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information.
You are viewing a web property located at Betterment.com. Different properties may be provided by a different entity with different marketing standards.
- Site Map
- Legal Directory
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google, Inc.
Apple, the Apple logo, and iPhone are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S.
Any links provided to other websites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Betterment or its authors endorse, sponsor, promote, and/or are affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, unless stated otherwise.
© Betterment. All rights reserved